Friday, October 24th, 2014

How To I.D. Genetically Modified Food at the Supermarket

Published on July 14, 2011 by   ·   13 Comments

FederalJack.com

Not many consumers realize that the FDA does not require genetically modified food to be labeled. That’s because the FDA has decided that you, dear consumer, don’t care if the tomato you’re eating has been cross bred with frog genes to render the tomato more resistant to cold weather. Some consumers may not be concerned with eating Frankenfood, but for those who are, here’s how to determine if the fruits and vegetables you’re buying are (GM) genetically modified.

Hat tip to Marion Owen for her valuable information. Here’s how it works:

For conventionally grown fruit, (grown with chemicals inputs), the PLU codeon the sticker consists of four numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by the number 9. Genetically engineered (GM) fruit has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by the number 8.

For example:

A conventionally grown banana would be: 4011

An organic banana would be: 94011

A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be: 84011

These tips are specially important now that over 80% of all processed foods in the US are genetically modified. Many countries in the European Union have been banning GM products and produce (including Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary and Luxembourg).  We say “Eat healthy, buy or grow organic”.

Read Entire Article HERE

Share the Truth:
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Global Grind
  • MySpace
  • Ping.fm
  • Tumblr

Readers Comments (13)

1. If people really understood what it truly means to consume genetically modified food, they would pay a little more attention. I can understand how some cannot afford to buy organic, but most choose a designer bag, or the latest car before they choose to buy organic. I can never understand it.

2. IBagwan says:

It is simply astonishing to me that people here in America are so oblivious to the dangers of GMO! Once again, a huge multi-national corporation has bought the heart of our government and is foisting deadly products on the populous. This is not only affecting our health, it’s affecting our future, the world’s future!

3. Nice post. I have definitely noticed the added on number ’9′ among the organic plu #s.

4. Maria Angela says:

@Claudia, IMO cost is not an excuse to not purchase organic. Just about anyone can afford organic food. It’s just that organic food has been given the enemy line about it being too expensive. I live on a budget and I eat exclusively organic at home and try to outside the house. I know someone who makes $375,000 a year and said the same thing — that organic food is so expensive. This line keeps getting repeated, but the fact of the matter is that organic is so nutritionally dense that it’s actually a good deal!

Motto of the story: Look for the “9″.

5. Ben says:

I work in a produce department at a major grocery store in Ohio. Now that thing about organics is true. The 8 in front of GMO’s must not always be true though, unless my store just never receives GMO’s which I highly doubt. None of our products PLU #’s follow the 8#### format.

6. @IBagwan, you are incorrect. GMO’s have not affected anyone’s health, a 2004 report from the US National Academies of Sciences stated: “To date, no adverse health effects attributed to genetic engineering have been documented in the human population.”
    So I’m very confused as to what you’re blathering on about.

@DTS weak citation… Huffington Post? Really? They don’t know shit about shit. But they do report the information that they have, credit where it’s due.

@Maria Angela speak English, or at least try for Christ’s sake. I have not a clue what you were trying to say.

Good day to you, and I hope you all wake up quite soon

7. admin says:

Duly noted, will be published tomorrow, thanks for helping us point out both sides of the story.

8. Tony says:

check the numbers on your food before purchase.

9. Old Timer says:

Great info. @ the only Idiot, you just continue to spout stats from the govt. and continue to treat them as gospel and you will have grandchildren with 6 toes on each foot. ie there are acceptable levels of arsenic in apple juice. I don’t believe a word they say. Go organic……

10. Jessica says:

Uh, hello Einsteins, ALL bananas are genetically modified — ever since they started selling them in grocery stores brainiacs. Have any of you morons ever eaten a banana from the wild. You would spit it out.

11. Mr_Obvious says:

I’d eat wild bananas. And wild spinach. And dandelions. I’d eat anything edible that nature puts out naturally.

Daily News and Blogs

Advertise Here

Like us on Facebook

Get in on the Cannabis Boom!

Online Marijuana School